Summer of Code 2008: OgreCollada
Student: Jacobus Izak Van Aarde Krynauw (nanocell)
Mentor: Christoph Nenning (kex)
Status: Released OgreCollada v0.1a.
Summer of Code 2008: Implement Skeletal Animation for OgreCollada
The original OgreCollada wiki (created by Xavier) can be found here: OgreCollada. Please note that the aformentioned page is a bit out of date.
The OgreCollada GSoC thread in the Ogre Forums: thread.
The OgreCollada project (wiki, forum and source) can be found on sourceforge: OgreCollada. This is also a work in progress so some information may still be outdated.
Roadmap for GSoC 2008
Note that this roadmap may change during the course of the GSoC term.
Phase 1: Getting things working (3 weeks; until 23rd of June)
- one geometry, one skeleton, one animation
- one geometry, one skeleton, two animations
- one geometry, two skeletons, two animations (one per skeleton)
- one geometry, two skeletons, four animationes (two per skeleton)
Phase 2: Complicate things (3 weeks; until 14th of July)
- two geometries, one skeleton, one animation
- two geometries, one skeleton, two animations
- two geometries, two skeletons, two animations (one per skeleton)
- two geometries, two skeletons, four animationes (two per skeleton)
Phase 3: Stress testing (2 Weeks; until 28th of July)
- complex test data (geometries with large/complex skeletons).
- complex scenes (multiple animated geometries in a scene).
Phase 4: Conversion (1 Week; until 4th of August)
- command line converter
Phase 5: Document (1 Week; 4th of August until 10th of August)
- Write documentation
The test driven approach
The OgreCollada is developed using the test driven approach. This implies creating a simple test file and making sure it works. Next, create a more complex file and make sure it works. Perform regression testing: Make sure the previous test cases still works! If it doesn't, fix it. It would be possible to use a testing framework that asserts when incorrect behaviour is detected but for now visual confirmation will be mostly used.
- Skeletal animation for OgreCollada
- Sample file repository
- Ogre COLLADA Plugin
- Wikipedia page - about COLLADA
- official COLLADA website
- COLLADA wiki
- OpenCOLLADA - open source SDK for DDC tool support
- SlimDX ColladaLoader library - for Mogre (C#) users