Table of contents
- What is this project?
- How do I install it?
- How do I use it?
- Known bugs?
- Can I aid you in adding features?
- List of people working on the editor
- 1. Definitions
- 2. Fair Use Rights
- 3. License Grant
- 4. Restrictions
- 5. Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer
- 6. Limitation on Liability.
- 7. Termination
- 8. Miscellaneous
Plain and simple: Paging landscape2 Map-editor is a fully featured map/terrain-editor for the marvellous paging landscape2 plugin.
- Real-time terrain deformation via different brush-sizes and brush-strengths
- Real-time texture-painting in the terrain via different brush-sizes and brush-formats, Painting Color or/and alpha channel (alpha channel or Color)
- Texture Format Selection.
- Integrating Mapsplitter Functions. (Split, generate color map, generate alpha map, select Splatting Textures, Select Height Percentage of splatting, etc...)
- Ability to generate a new terrain with a given size and a given texture (blank or using generation algo (plasma, particle, etc...))
- Loading/saving maps
- Map Load Selection (at least from Cfg files)
- RGB Color pannel selector for painting
- A modular GUI. Meaning: I tried to keep the GUI as flexible and independent as possible. Adding new functionality to the editor should be very easy. Different people can work on different parts of the map-editor independently and they can "plug" their "module" into the main-GUI later when they are finished.
While the project is still in an early stage of development the current features on the TODO-list (tm) are:
- a GUI for dynamically add new pages to an existing terrain (so final terrain size doesn't need to be known from the beginning) (Lucky Luciano)
- Load custom brushes from disk or/and select multiple brushes, or create one by painting on a alpha map on screen.
- Integrating TerraBuild Terrain Generation / Terrain Correction as Terrain generation, Terrain Brushes.
- Map Load Selection (at least from known map files)
- Add Filter Edition (erode map region selected for example...)
- Make a More Edit Tools Gui. Like gimp, wiht panel of tools instead of tabs of lists., along with key shortcuts for faster navigation. (An example is worldeditor)
- Make Enter/Exit Gui/terrain screen functions (so that clicking on gui doesn't click on terrain)
- Make terrain a viewport in a window.
- Mouse Smoothing (scaled to screen, but smooth enough to use)
- Undo/redo functionality
- Load/save any material
- edit material
- A fog editor (partially implemented)
- A water editor
- A skyplane/skybox/skydome editor
- Integration with the Game Object Oriented Framework (GOOF) which allows placing various types of objects such as Meshes, Particle Systems, Lights, Trees, etc.
- GOOF saving/loading
- GOOF property enumeration and assignment via dynamically created user interface
- Exporting the terrain as meshes (.mesh) objects listed in a .scene for easy importing in another Ogre application'
- VC6 projects
- VC7 projects
- Linux Build
Any other suggestions are welcome.
I made sure that if you use Visual Studio 7.1 the plugin should compile out-of-the-box. Though, we all know things can come in mysterious ways, so if you encounter problems please don't hesitate to post a message on the Ogre-forums.
Download the MapEditor from the Ogre CVS (you can find more info on how to do this here
Download the modified libnoise here : [download link http://users.skynet.be/bk324186/Libnoise.rar]
After you downloaded the files from the CVS you should have a folder named "Ogreaddons". Open that folder, double click on the "paginglandscape" folder, select everything in the folder and copy it into "$OGRE_DIR$\Ogrenew\".
Then Just copy the Libnoise directory from the .rar file into "OGRE_DIR/Ogrenew/samples/mapeditor/" (so the final directory structure should be "OGRE_DIR/Ogrenew/samples/mapeditor/Libnoise/bin" and "OGRE_DIR/Ogrenew/samples/mapeditor/Libnoise/include"
Go to the directory "$OGRE_DIR$\ogrenew\samples\MapEditor". Double click on the .sln file. Visual Studio will open.
Do a complete batch build of the solution (the executables will be placed in "$OGRE_DIR$\ogrenew\samples\common\bin\Debug" and "$OGRE_DIR$\ogrenew\samples\common\bin\Release" directories.)
Run the map-editor.
Compiling the project in other versions of Visual Studio shouldn't give much troubles if you managed to compile the Ogre project.
Linux and Mac users: sorry but you are on your own :/ I don't have a Mac- or Linux-machine at my disposal so I can't help you...
I think the GUI is fairly intuitive but here are the main-functionalities, anyway:
- Use the arrow-keys or WASD -keys to move the camera around
- Holding CTRL will enhance the movement speed of the camera by 30units, holding the spacebar will enhance it by 300units. Holding them both is also possible.
- Pressing ESC (or pressing the "Q" button on top of the screen) will close the editor
- Pressing "T" will render the world in wireframe
- Dragging the mouse while holding the right mouse-button will move the camera around
- To deform the terrain select an option in the drop-down menu in the "Morph"-tab. Only "Raise" and "Lower" work at the moment. You can set your brush-size and brush-strength by changing the appropriate scrollbars. Press and hold the left mouse-button while moving the mouse to deform the terrain.
- To stop deforming the terrain just select something other then "Raise" or "Lower" in the drop-down menu. There is a little bug: the "cursor-circle" doesn't dissapear...
- To use the fog-editor press the Fog-editor button (a new window will open). You can choose which type of fog you want by selecting it in the drop-down menu. Change fog-color by changing the three scrollbars. Check the "Enable fog" checkbox and press ok.
WARNING: there is a major crash-bug: trying to re-open the fog-editor will crash the map-editor (this is an issue with CEGUI I have to look into. Perhaps anyone knows a solution for this?)
This is a alpha 0.3 version, so you should expect a lot of them.
Also, a lot of functionality isn't implemented yet...
These are the major-bugs that I know off:
- Trying to re-open the fog-editor will crash the application.
- When stopping terrain-deformation the "cursor-circle" will not dissapear.
- Item-tab are empty.
- the "L" buttons on top of the screen don't do anything.
- report bugs on Forum Thread
Sure, that's why I decided to release the sourcecode. I tried to keep the GUI as flexible as possible so adding new functionality to it shouldn't be too difficult if you know how to work with CEGUI.
If you want to help, be sure to drop by at the Ogre-forums and let us know which features you want to implement (so no two people will work on the same things)
The faster the editor is finished the better it is for everyone, so every help is more then welcome and, of course, much appreciated!
Thanks for listening!<HR>
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- "Collective Work" means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.
- "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound recording, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
- "Licensor" means the individual or entity that offers the Work under the terms of this License.
- "Original Author" means the individual or entity who created the Work.
- "Work" means the copyrightable work of authorship offered under the terms of this License.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
- "License Elements" means the following high-level license attributes as selected by Licensor and indicated in the title of this License: Attribution, ShareAlike.
Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:
- to reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collective Works, and to reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collective Works;
- to create and reproduce Derivative Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission the Work including as incorporated in Collective Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission Derivative Works.
- For the avoidance of doubt, where the work is a musical composition:
- Performance Royalties Under Blanket Licenses. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance rights society (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), royalties for the public performance or public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work.
- Mechanical Rights and Statutory Royalties. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a music rights society or designated agent (e.g. Harry Fox Agency), royalties for any phonorecord You create from the Work ("cover version") and distribute, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 115 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
- Webcasting Rights and Statutory Royalties. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a sound recording, Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance-rights society (e.g. SoundExchange), royalties for the public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 114 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats. All rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved.
The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License. If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested.
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 Japan). You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License or other license specified in the previous sentence with every copy or phonorecord of each Derivative Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Derivative Works that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder, and You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Derivative Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Derivative Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Derivative Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License.
- If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MATERIALS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.