Table of contents
- GOOF Installation Introduction
- Ogre Addons
- Paging Scene Manager
- Object Oriented Input System (OIS)
- Final Setup
- Additional Notes
- 1. Definitions
- 2. Fair Use Rights
- 3. License Grant
- 4. Restrictions
- 5. Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer
- 6. Limitation on Liability.
- 7. Termination
- 8. Miscellaneous
GOOF Installation Introduction
Instructions for installing the Game Object Oriented Framework
GOOF works with Ogre 1.21 CVS version (not Ogre HEAD). The compiled SDK is not supported.
Note from Clay Larabie: I understand that a lot of people are using Visual Studio 2005, however I'm stuck in the good old days with Visual Studio 2003. If anyone wants to provide me with a solution and projects for VS 2005 I'll put them in ogreaddons.
GOOF has dependencies on Boost 1.33 (thread and filesystem), OIS 0.7, Libnoise 0.9, Opcode 1.3.2, and OpenAL 1.1 and Ogre 1.21. and the PagingLandscapeSceneManager from ogreaddons.
GOOF expects folder layout to be as follows, where DEV_ROOT is location on your machine. In my case that is C:\Development\ but it can be wherever you want. DEV_ROOT doesn't need to be an environment variable or anything, in these instructions it's just used as an indicator of where your folders should go.
You *can* put these anywhere, but the default GOOF projects and solution file expect the following layout, and if you put them somewhere else you'll need to change the project settings to reflect those changes.
Skip this if you already have Ogre versions 1.21 from CVS.
If you are using Windows, download Ogre dependencies for your compiler:
- Using TortoiseCVS (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisecvs/TortoiseCVS-1.8.26.exe), follow these instructions:
- In windows explorer, navigate to DEV_ROOT folder, right click on it, and choose "CVS Checkout".
- For anonymous access if you don't have a dev account with sourceforge, enter a CVSROOT of ":pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot/ogre"
- For dev access, type ":ext:YourUsername@cvs.ogre3d.org/cvsroot/ogre"
- For module enter "ogrenew"
- Navigate to the "Revision" tab and click "Choose branch or tag" radio button, then click "Update List". Drop down the "Branch or tag name" selection box and choose "v1-2-1"
- Click OK to checkout Ogre 1.2.1
- Extract Ogre dependencies into the DEV_ROOT/ogrenew folder
Follow the same instructions above except for module enter "ogreaddons" and don't choose a revision, just click "OK".
Paging Scene Manager
- Copy ogreaddons/paginglandscape/Tools Samples and Plugins folders to DEV_ROOT/ogrenew folder
Note: No need to download datasrcs.zip or compile and run mapslitter as per the Paging Scene Manager instructions unless you want to.
- Copy ogreaddons/GOOF/Samples into ogrenew
- Copy ogreaddons/GOOF/GOOF into DEV_ROOT/
Note: A config file called Resources_GOOF.cfg will be copied into the ogrenew/samples/common/bin/debug and release folders.
Backup the existing Resources.cfg file and overwrite with Resources_GOOF.cfg.
If you have resource paths for an existing project that you need to keep, make changes to the new Resources.cfg.
Download Libnoise 0.9
- Extract the zips to a temporary location.
- Create a folder called Libnoise in your DEV_ROOT folder.
- Copy the bin folder from libnoisedll to DEV_ROOT/Libnoise.
- Copy the include folder from libnoiseheaders to DEV_ROOT/Libnoise.
- Copy libnoise.dll into DEV_ROOT/ogrenew/samples/common/bin/debug and release folders.
Download Opcode 1.3.2
- Extract it to a temporary location.
- Create a folder called Opcode in your DEV_ROOT folder.
- Copy the contents of the extracted Opcode1.3.2 folder into DEV_ROOT/Opcode such that the files are directly in DEV_ROOT/Opcode, NOT in DEV_ROOT/Opcode/Opcode1.3.2.
Download OpenAL SDK
Run the installer and when it asks where to install to, specify DEV_ROOT/OpenAL folder (it won't exist yet but it'll be created by the installer).
Object Oriented Input System (OIS)
Download OIS 0.7
- Extract to a temporary location.
- Create a folder named OIS under DEV_ROOT/ogrenew.
- Copy the contents of the ois folder (contains folders for demos, includes, lib, etc.) into DEV_ROOT/ogrenew/ois
Download Boost 1.33
- Extract boost-jam-3.1.11-1-ntx86.zip to a temporary location. Note, this is a slightly older version of bjam than the latest version and seems to work better.
- Copy bjam.exe in your windows system32 directory, example C:Windows\System32# Extract boost_1_33_1.zip to a temporary location.
- Create folder named Boost under DEV_ROOT.
- Copy (or cut/paste) the contents of the boost_1_33_1 folder (should contain boost, doc, libs, etc.) into DEVROOT\Boost
- Open command prompt.
- Run vsvars32.bat from your Visual Studio directory to set up environment variables needed by the compiler. For example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat
- Navigate to DEV_ROOT/Boost/ while still in the command prompt.
- Enter the following at the command prompt if running Visual Studio 2003: "bjam.exe -sTOOLS=vc-7_1
- If running Visual Studio 2005, use the same command above except with -sTOOLS=vc-8_0 instead.
For more information on building/configuring Boost:
The most common additional step you may need to do is to set the VC71_ROOT or VC80_ROOT environment variables in the command prompt above; this is needed only if you have installed Visual C++ to a location other than the default.
- Open up DEV_ROOT/GOOF/GOOF.sln. This solution contains various GOOF projects, as well as Opcode, Ogre (only those projects needed by GOOF, so demos are excluded) and the Paging Landscape plugin.
- Open up the Opcode project settings.
- Select "All Configurations" and under Build Events->Post Build Event set its value to "copy $(OutDir)\$(TargetFileName) ..\ogrenew\samples\Common\Bin\$(ConfigurationName)"
- Open the OIS project settings. Select "All Configurations" and under Build Events->Post Build Event set its value to "copy $(OutDir)\$(TargetFileName) ..\..\samples\Common\Bin\$(ConfigurationName)"
- Set GOOFEd as your active project.
- Build everything.
- Run GOOFEd.
Note: Currently the project dependencies might be set slightly wrong, so the projects might compile out of order and you might get a link problem such as "Error: Could not find GOOFExtension_d.lib". Just Build solution a second time and everything should compile fine. I'll fix this soon.
ochensati2 posted these additional helpful hints on the Paging Landscape 2 addons forum:
OK, I just got GOOF up and working (mostly) so here are my noob mistakes so everyone else doesn't have to make the same ones.
1. Follow the installation WIKI exactly put everything in its place.
2. You need to add
OgrePagingLandScapeAxisAlignedBoxSceneQuery.cpp and its header to the Plugin_PagingLandScapeSceneManager2 project. This will make that project compiles.
3. There is an error in the GOOFPagingLandscapeEditorPlugin. You need to find the lines in GOOFPagingLandscapeEditorPlugin.cpp (ln 806) and that specify rsq_firstterrain and change them to
also at Ln 830, do the same
This seems to work
4. My complier(VC++ 2005) had a hard time with all the dependancies. I just had to search until I got them all into the IDE
5. If you start it up and get a blank screen, you have committeed one of two errors.
a. You are not starting the program from ogrenew/samples/common/bin
b. you have not changed the resource.cfg file or the Plugins_plsm2.cfg files
c. You did not copy the samples file from ogreaddons/GOOF to ogrenew
I found that hitting alt-tab when the screen was blank and then looking for the lost resource cleared everything up right away.
6. When the program starts all you see is a nice sunset, Took me a moment to figure out that right clicking the screen and looking up and then
moving forward would allow me to get over the top of the landscape. I then could right click and look down and the landscape.
I still have two errors that I cannot seem to overcome. The first is a GOOf error that I am trying to track which is that when I try to paint the texture on the landscape, the program crashes completely, nothing in ogre.log to look at. The second error makes the first more difficult. When I try to compile GOOFPagingLandscapeEditorPlugin for debug I get the error
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libboost_filesystem-vc71-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib'
The linker error is fixed by clicking on the properties tab, the linker, then input. The boost file is listed there under the additional dependancies, once I had deleted that file, boost correctly listed the library it wanted. Now I can use the debugger to fix the painting problem
Note from Falagard: The painting was working when GOOF was checked into CVS, so this means something has changed since then in the PLM2. Shouldn't be too difficult to track down the problem, but I'm hard at work on the next version of GOOF at the moment.
You can download GOOF .exe on http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=202941 working on Ogre V1.4.5; this is not the official version.<HR>
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- "Collective Work" means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.
- "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound recording, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
- "Licensor" means the individual or entity that offers the Work under the terms of this License.
- "Original Author" means the individual or entity who created the Work.
- "Work" means the copyrightable work of authorship offered under the terms of this License.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
- "License Elements" means the following high-level license attributes as selected by Licensor and indicated in the title of this License: Attribution, ShareAlike.
2. Fair Use Rights
Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.
3. License Grant
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:
- to reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collective Works, and to reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collective Works;
- to create and reproduce Derivative Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission the Work including as incorporated in Collective Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission Derivative Works.
- For the avoidance of doubt, where the work is a musical composition:
- Performance Royalties Under Blanket Licenses. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance rights society (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), royalties for the public performance or public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work.
- Mechanical Rights and Statutory Royalties. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a music rights society or designated agent (e.g. Harry Fox Agency), royalties for any phonorecord You create from the Work ("cover version") and distribute, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 115 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
- Webcasting Rights and Statutory Royalties. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a sound recording, Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance-rights society (e.g. SoundExchange), royalties for the public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 114 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats. All rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved.
The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License. If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested.
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 Japan). You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License or other license specified in the previous sentence with every copy or phonorecord of each Derivative Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Derivative Works that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder, and You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Derivative Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Derivative Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Derivative Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License.
- If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
5. Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer
UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MATERIALS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
6. Limitation on Liability.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.