This is an attempt to provide an up to date guide on how to build Ogre from scratch on a recent Mac platform. We will be using Xcode 4.6, and Mac OS X 10.7.5. Tested on a Mac mini 2011, if that matters.
The motivation for this guide was the result of general frustration of the difficulty of building Ogre the Mac platform. My background is from using Visual Studio 2008, so I wanted a step-by-step guide
on how to build Ogre.
For simplicity, directories will be created in the home directory, although that may not be generally desirable.
Because of my requirements (32 bit only third party library), we will build a static version for i386 only, although it should be easy to identify and tweak those options for your own use.
Although not strictly necessary, Boost is nice for cross platform stuff, and I feel it makes me more productive. However, you sacrifice compile times and binary sizes.
Hopefully the negatives will eventually disappear in the future as compilers get better.
# Download Boost on the official website, at the time this was written, it is 1.53.0 cd tar -xjvpf ~/Downloads/boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2 mv boost_1_53_0 boost # I chose to do this so I don't have to update directories every time in other projects # install the b2 / bjam to ~/boost.build, this is like make and cmake, but for boost cd boost/tools/build/v2 ./booststrap.sh mkdir ~/boost.build (NOTE that ~ doesn't work below to specify home) ./b2 install --prefix=/home/USERNAME/boost.build # make sure you are using the latest compilers, and they refer to the ones inside /Applications/Xcode.app # this is important if you have Xcode 3 and Xcode 4 simulataneously installed $ /usr/bin/g++ --version i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-g++-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00) $ /usr/bin/clang --version Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.24) (based on LLVM 3.2svn) Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2 Thread model: posix # building Boost cd ~/boost ~/boost.build/bin/b2 --layout=versioned --build-type=minimal toolset=darwin link=static architecture=x86 address-model=32 stage
After following these steps, you have lots of *.a files in ~/boost/stage/lib . Since layout=version is specified, they have the suffix -xgcc42-mt-1_53
Pretty simple. Go to their website, download CMake, and install. Also install the command-line tools at the end.
In the terminal, do "cmake --version" to check that the version is at least 18.104.22.168
Also pretty simple. Just use the install inside the DMG.
NVIDIA Cg Download
Since we are building our own version of Boost, we might as well build the Ogre dependencies also.
# get ogredeps source cd hg clone https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps # make temp directory for build cd ogredeps mkdir build cd build cmake -D CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk -D CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386 .. # this seems to always compile in Release mode by default (i.e. -O3 is used) make # this creates a directory ~/ogredeps/build/ogredeps , and this is where we will tell Ogre to look for dependencies make install
# get OGRE source cd hg clone https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/ ogre cd ogre # switch to latest stable branch at the time of this writing hg update v1-8 # if you have boost installed via MacPorts, de-activate it for now as the CMake boost finder is buggy and will # try to link to the boost libs in /opt/local/lib even though you explicitly specified a library location # build mkdir build cd build # below command is so long it probably takes 2 lines cmake -D BOOST_ROOT=~/boost -D BOOST_INCLUDEDIR=~/boost -D BOOST_LIBRARYDIR=~/boost/stage/lib -D Boost_DEBUG=1 -D OGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR=~/ogredeps/build/ogredeps -D OGRE_STATIC=1 -D CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386 -D OGRE_BUILD_SAMPLES=0 -G Xcode .. # Explanation of above: # BOOST_ROOT, BOOST_INCLUDEDIR, BOOST_LIBRARYDIR indicate where our custom install of Boost is at. # Boost_DEBUG=1 is to make sure it is using the correct Boost location. # OGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR is where the output of the previous step is at # OGRE_BUILD_SAMPLES=0 to disable building of the SampleBrowser for quicker compilation # Note, from browsing the forums, Xcode generator is essential as Makefiles don't work correctly (?) # open OGRE.xcodeproj in Xcode # Product > Scheme > Edit Scheme # change "ALL_BUILD" to Release Build Configuration # change "install" to Release Build Configuration # make sure "Product > Scheme > ALL_BUILD" is selected # Product > Build # select "Product > Scheme > install # Product > Build # NOTE that the build fails complaining that 'FindiOSSDK.cmake' can't be found, but I think we can ignore that.
After performing these steps, you should have a ~/ogre/build/sdk/ directory, which contains the files that you will need to use Ogre in your application.
Download the latest Xcode template by going to http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre/files/ogre-dependencies-mac/1.8/ and downloading Ogre_Xcode4_Templates_20120621.pkg.zip
Close Xcode and install this pkg file.
Now when you create a new project, under the OS X section there should be an Ogre category with "Mac OS X Application" that has the Ogre head logo. Choose that and create a new project.
The first thing you should notice when you enter project is the missing frameworks. Remove those.
open /System/Library/Frameworks/ and drag AGL.framework, GL.framework, and QuartzCore.framework into the Frameworks folder in Xcode.
open /Library/Frameworks/ and drag Cg.framework into Framworks like above.
Other Linker Flags
-lOIS -lOgreMainStatic -lfreetype -lFreeImage -lboost_thread-xgcc42-mt-1_53 -lboost_system-xgcc42-mt-1_53 -lzziplib -lzlib -lPlugin_CgProgramManagerStatic -lRenderSystem_GLStatic
Important that /Library/Frameworks is added below, otherwise compiler won't be able to find Cg/cg.h
Framework Search Paths
$(inherited) "$(SYSTEM_APPS_DIR)/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks" /Library/Frameworks
Header Search Paths
~/ogre/build/sdk/include/OGRE ~/ogre/build/sdk/include/OGRE/OSX ~/ogre/build/sdk/include/OGRE/Plugins/CgProgramManager ~/ogre/build/sdk/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GL ~/ogre/build/sdk/include/OIS ~/boost
Library Search Paths
Below 2 settings are important, otherwise you get mysterious bad codegen, pointer diff errors
Inline Methods Hidden
Symbols Hidden by Default
Add this to the beginning of the Precompiled Header
If you don't do this, you get errors saying how glew.h needs to be included before gl.h and glext.h
Comment out "delete m_pRoot" in OgreFramework::~OgreFramework()
Right now it crashes inside OgreRoot::shutdown(), and I have no idea why. If I have time I will probably investigate later by making Debug builds of Ogre.
Press 'Run' and hopefully everything goes well except for the 'PBXCp Error' that you can ignore and you should have the Config Screen.
Press 'OK' and you should see the famous Ogre head
Press Escape to close the application.
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- "Collective Work" means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.
- "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound recording, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
- "Licensor" means the individual or entity that offers the Work under the terms of this License.
- "Original Author" means the individual or entity who created the Work.
- "Work" means the copyrightable work of authorship offered under the terms of this License.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
- "License Elements" means the following high-level license attributes as selected by Licensor and indicated in the title of this License: Attribution, ShareAlike.
Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:
- to reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collective Works, and to reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collective Works;
- to create and reproduce Derivative Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission the Work including as incorporated in Collective Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission Derivative Works.
- For the avoidance of doubt, where the work is a musical composition:
- Performance Royalties Under Blanket Licenses. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance rights society (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), royalties for the public performance or public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work.
- Mechanical Rights and Statutory Royalties. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a music rights society or designated agent (e.g. Harry Fox Agency), royalties for any phonorecord You create from the Work ("cover version") and distribute, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 115 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
- Webcasting Rights and Statutory Royalties. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a sound recording, Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance-rights society (e.g. SoundExchange), royalties for the public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 114 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats. All rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved.
The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License. If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested.
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 Japan). You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License or other license specified in the previous sentence with every copy or phonorecord of each Derivative Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Derivative Works that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder, and You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Derivative Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Derivative Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Derivative Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License.
- If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MATERIALS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.