This tutorial will guide you through the configuration of an OgreBullet project from configuring the components to creating your first compilable but empty project. My native language is not English so if you find grammatical errors, please post a comment. Thanks!
What you need:
- Ogre 1.65 (must be already configured). This tutorial has also been reported to be compatible with Ogre 1.7.1.
- Bullet 2.76 (you can download from here)
- OgreBullet (I used rev. 2902, svn at the time of writing: link)
IDE I used and will refer to:
- Visual Studio 2008 C++ Express with SP1
Also good if you have:
- Ogre AppWizard (the basic project is generated with this. Wiki: The Complete Blanks Guide To Using The OGRE SDK AppWizard)
Unpack Bullet and place OgreBullet somewhere on the hard drive.
Create a new environment variable for Bullet.
BULLET_HOME: C:\OgreSDK\AddOns\bullet-2.76 (if this is where you unpacked Bullet).
Note: At least as of revision 2978, the project is configured to use the environment variable BULLET_ROOT instead.
Note: You can set environment variables in Windows XP by following these steps: open Control Panel (classic view) / System / Advanced / Environment Variables. Set it in the User Variables box.
Build Bullet in your IDE (I did it in VS2008 Express).
From Bullet's root folder, the project file for VS 2008 is here: msvc/2008/BULLET_PHYSICS.sln. Build it in Debug and Release modes; it should compile without any problem.
The .sln file is in the OgreBullet folder. Depending on your version, it may be called OgreBullet_SDK.sln or OgreBullet_VC8.sln.
Note: You may need to alter Include directories if you're using a newer version of Ogre.
When you build the debug version of the demos, you may have some errors about missing .lib files. Put these files in ....\OgreBullet\lib\Debug\:
|File||Can be found in|
There are some other files that we don't need now but that you may need later, for example BulletSoftBody.lib. If something is missing when you use more components from Bullet, don't forget to copy it to the right place.
Note: If you want to compile/run the OgreBullet demos supplied with OgreBullet and it can't find resources.cfg, don't wonder. This tutorial is not about these demos but I think you can solve this problem yourself. There are some problems with paths
If you want to build the Release version of the demos (or any OgreBullet project!) you'll need to copy Bullet's .lib files to ....\OgreBullet\lib\Release. But beware! You have to put the RELEASE version of the .lib files to this directory, not the files listed above.
Now that we have the required files, let's close this project and start a new one!
If you have the Ogre AppWizard installed, create a new Ogre project: New project –> Ogre SDK Application –> OgreBullet_Collision_test –> Finish
I'll refer to classes whose names have been generated from the project's. Be careful if you want to use another name.
If you don't have the AppWizard, just create a basic Ogre application that is able to create a window, fire up a FrameListener and deal with keyboard/mouse input handle. If you don't know how to do this, there's a tutorial for it. From now on, I will refer to the AppWizard basic project.
Before we start coding (in the next tutorial) we need to do some configuration. Open the project's properties (Alt + F7) and do the following:
- Go to Configuration Properties > C/C++ > General
- Find Additional Include Directories, open with '...' button
- Add $(BULLET_HOME)\src to the list
Do this for both Debug and Release modes (with the dropdown menu in the top-left corner of the window).
- Now go to Configuration Properties > Linker > Input
- Find Additional Dependencies
- Add the required elements. In the end it should contain these:
OgreMain_d.lib OIS_d.lib OgreBulletCollisions_d.lib OgreBulletDynamics_d.lib bulletcollision.lib bulletdynamics.lib LinearMath.lib GIMPACTutils.lib ConvexDecomposition.lib
- Change the Configuration (in the top-left corner of the window) to Release and insert these to the same place as before:
OgreMain.lib OIS.lib OgreBulletCollisions.lib OgreBulletDynamics.lib bulletcollision.lib bulletdynamics.lib LinearMath.lib GIMPACTutils.lib ConvexDecomposition.lib
In the current SVN version of OgreBullet (rev2984) and Bullet version 2.78 (rev2387), the libraries names are different:
Release: OgreMain.lib OIS.lib OgreBulletCol.lib OgreBulletDyn.lib BulletCollision.lib BulletDynamics.lib LinearMath.lib GIMPACTUtils.lib ConvexDecomposition.lib
Now close this window and go to Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions > VC++ Directories:
- Set Show directories for: Include files
- Put these paths in the list (including the path to OgreBullet):
- Change to Library files and put these in the list:
Build the project. If all went well, you can now start the next tutorial which is based on this project
NOTE: Source code can be found at the end of the second tutorial.
On to OgreBullet Tutorial 2!<HR>
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- "Collective Work" means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.
- "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound recording, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
- "Licensor" means the individual or entity that offers the Work under the terms of this License.
- "Original Author" means the individual or entity who created the Work.
- "Work" means the copyrightable work of authorship offered under the terms of this License.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
- "License Elements" means the following high-level license attributes as selected by Licensor and indicated in the title of this License: Attribution, ShareAlike.
Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:
- to reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collective Works, and to reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collective Works;
- to create and reproduce Derivative Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission the Work including as incorporated in Collective Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission Derivative Works.
- For the avoidance of doubt, where the work is a musical composition:
- Performance Royalties Under Blanket Licenses. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance rights society (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), royalties for the public performance or public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work.
- Mechanical Rights and Statutory Royalties. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a music rights society or designated agent (e.g. Harry Fox Agency), royalties for any phonorecord You create from the Work ("cover version") and distribute, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 115 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
- Webcasting Rights and Statutory Royalties. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a sound recording, Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance-rights society (e.g. SoundExchange), royalties for the public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 114 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats. All rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved.
The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License. If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested.
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 Japan). You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License or other license specified in the previous sentence with every copy or phonorecord of each Derivative Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Derivative Works that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder, and You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Derivative Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Derivative Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Derivative Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License.
- If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MATERIALS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.