This article assumes that you have already downloaded and installed CMake, and obtained the Ogre source. For instructions on obtaining the Ogre source via Mercurial, see Building Ogre.
Xcode 4.3 changed the layout of developer tools on disk which can cause some serious problems for CMake. The issue has been fixed but is not yet publicly released. CMake 2.8.8 will include Xcode 4.3 support. At the time of writing, a release candidate is available that includes this support.
You will also need to install the Command Line Tools from within Xcode's Downloads Preferences and set the Xcode path from the command line like this.
Assuming that Xcode is installed in /Applications,
sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
If you want to test your build on an iOS device (instead of just the simulator), you should also have obtained an App ID from the iOS Provisioning Portal on developer.apple.com.
Head over to http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre/files/ogre-dependencies-mac/ and download the latest iPhone dependencies package. Once it has finished downloading, double-click on the disc image to mount it. Copy the iPhoneDependencies folder to the root of the Ogre source tree. It should reside alongside folders such as OgreMain, Samples, Tests, PlugIns, etc.
For Ogre 1.8 forward, this directory should be named iOSDependencies.
Your Ogre directory should look similar to this:
CMake Components iOSDependencies Docs OgreMain Other PlugIns RenderSystems Samples SDK Tests Tools
Two common cases are:
Building for running the sample projects.
Building for compatibility with Ogre's "iPhone OS" Xcode project template.
These two cases are detailed below.
Building with Xcode 4
Libc++ is required for Ogre 1.9
The best way to configure for iPhone is using Terminal. Using CMake-Gui doesn't quite configure correctly at the time of this writing.
First change to the directory of the Ogre sources. Now create a build directory and change to it:
mkdir build && cd build
You need to run cmake from the build directory and provide it with the location of the build directory. If you followed the above guideline, then you can simply type:
cmake -D OGRE_BUILD_PLATFORM_IPHONE=1 -G Xcode ..
For OGRE 1.8 and beyond, this has been changed because iOS is used on devices besides iPhones now. If you are using the 1.8 branch here is the command to use:
cmake -D OGRE_BUILD_PLATFORM_APPLE_IOS=1 -G Xcode ..
CMake will now parse the scripts in the Ogre source tree. Watch the output, especially if all necessary dependencies have been found. If not, you might need to install the missing ones or provide their locations manually.
A Xcode project has now been generated in the build directory, so to start the Ogre build, open OGRE.xcodeproj and build as usual.
To run samples on your device you will need to have a valid iPhone Developer certificate installed. For each sample, double click on target in the Groups & Files list. Ensure that a valid identity is selected in the Code Signing Identity drop menu.
Also, because we can't tell CMake what Xcode project format you want, you will have to change it yourself. Open the Project Menu, choose Edit Project Settings. Click on the General tab in the settings window. Change Project Format to Xcode 3.1-compatible. If you are using CMake 2.8 it is not necessary to change the Project Format.
And another thing. You will need to manually set the Bundle Identifier property of the Info.plist file to match the App ID of the chosen code signing identity. This can be done from the Target Properties panel. It must match the bundle identifier of a valid developer certificate if you are building for devices.
If you want to use the Xcode template installer package after building the source, use the script below to create and modify your build directory so it matches the pre-built SDK.
NOTE: If you get "BUILD FAILED" error because of No architectures to compile for (ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=YES, active arch=x86_64, VALID_ARCHS=i386). then replace line xcodebuild -sdk iphonesimulator -configuration $CONFIG" with "xcodebuild -sdk iphonesimulator -configuration $CONFIG ARCHS="i386 x86_64" ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=NO
NOTE: Modify the constants at the start of the script depending on your own directory paths and configuration preferences. Also, when building Ogre 1.8 or later, replace OGRE_BUILD_PLATFORM_IPHONE with OGRE_BUILD_PLATFORM_APPLE_IOS
#! /bin/bash ############# # CONSTANTS # ################################################################################ # Absolute path to the source code directory. SRC=`pwd`/src # Absolute path to the build directory. BUILD=`pwd`/build/iOS # The build configuration. Recommended values are: # Release - optimized code that excludes debugging information. # RelWithDebInfo - optimized code that includes debugging information. CONFIG=Release ################################################################################ # Clear the old build and recompile the new one. rm -rf $BUILD mkdir $BUILD cd $BUILD cmake -D OGRE_BUILD_PLATFORM_APPLE_IOS=1 -G Xcode $SRC cd $BUILD xcodebuild -sdk iphoneos -configuration $CONFIG mkdir $BUILD/lib/Release-iphoneos mv $BUILD/lib/Release/* $BUILD/lib/Release-iphoneos xcodebuild -sdk iphonesimulator -configuration $CONFIG mkdir $BUILD/lib/Release-iphonesimulator mv $BUILD/lib/Release/* $BUILD/lib/Release-iphonesimulator for FILE in `ls $BUILD/lib/Release-iphoneos` do lipo $BUILD/lib/Release-iphoneos/$FILE \ -arch i386 $BUILD/lib/Release-iphonesimulator/$FILE \ -create -output $BUILD/lib/Release/$FILE done rm -rf $BUILD/lib/Release-iphoneos rm -rf $BUILD/lib/Release-iphonesimulator # Copy the dependencies. cp -R $SRC/iOSDependencies $BUILD ln -s $BUILD/iOSDependencies/include/OIS $BUILD/include/OIS rm -rf $BUILD/iOSDependencies/lib/Debug # Add necessary files to the lib directory. mv $BUILD/pkgconfig $BUILD/lib # Remove samples, which are not useful as libraries. rm $BUILD/lib/Release/*Sample* # Add necessary files to the include directory. mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/iOS mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Paging mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/BSPSceneManager mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/OctreeSceneManager mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/OctreeZone mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/ParticleFX mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/PCZSceneManager mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Property mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES/EAGL mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES2 mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES2/EAGL mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/RTShaderSystem mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Terrain mkdir $BUILD/include/OGRE/Threading mv $BUILD/include/OgreBuildSettings.h $BUILD/include/OGRE cp $SRC/OgreMain/include/*.h $BUILD/include/OGRE cp $SRC/Samples/Common/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE cp $SRC/OgreMain/include/iOS/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/iOS cp $SRC/Components/Paging/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Paging cp $SRC/Plugins/BSPSceneManager/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/BSPSceneManager cp $SRC/Plugins/OctreeSceneManager/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/OctreeSceneManager cp $SRC/Plugins/OctreeZone/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/OctreeZone cp $SRC/Plugins/ParticleFX/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/ParticleFX cp $SRC/Plugins/PCZSceneManager/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Plugins/PCZSceneManager cp $SRC/Components/Property/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Property cp $SRC/RenderSystems/GLES/include/*.h $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES cp $SRC/RenderSystems/GLES/include/EAGL/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES/EAGL cp $SRC/RenderSystems/GLES2/include/*.h $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES2 cp $SRC/RenderSystems/GLES2/include/EAGL/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/RenderSystems/GLES2/EAGL cp $SRC/Components/RTShaderSystem/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/RTShaderSystem cp $SRC/Components/Terrain/include/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Terrain cp $SRC/OgreMain/include/Threading/* $BUILD/include/OGRE/Threading # Remove everything except headers and libraries. for FILE in `ls $BUILD` do if [ $FILE != "include" ] && [ $FILE != "iOSDependencies" ] && [ $FILE != "lib" ] then rm -rf $FILE fi done
When the script starts running, pay attention to any initial warning messages about missing dependencies. You might need to install additional libraries on your system in order to make everything build properly (i.e. to avoid runtime failures later). Among other things, zziplib (ex. "libzzip" in MacPorts) seems to be necessary.
Once you have built your SDK, head over to http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre/files/ogre-dependencies-mac/ and download the latest Xcode templates installer. Once it has finished downloading, extract and run the installer.
Create an Xcode project using the template. When prompted, enter the absolute path to your build directory (BUILD in the script above) as the Ogre iOS SDK Path. Build and run.
Alias: Building From Source (for iPhone)<HR>
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- "Collective Work" means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.
- "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound recording, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
- "Licensor" means the individual or entity that offers the Work under the terms of this License.
- "Original Author" means the individual or entity who created the Work.
- "Work" means the copyrightable work of authorship offered under the terms of this License.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
- "License Elements" means the following high-level license attributes as selected by Licensor and indicated in the title of this License: Attribution, ShareAlike.
Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:
- to reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collective Works, and to reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collective Works;
- to create and reproduce Derivative Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission the Work including as incorporated in Collective Works;
- to distribute copies or phonorecords of, display publicly, perform publicly, and perform publicly by means of a digital audio transmission Derivative Works.
- For the avoidance of doubt, where the work is a musical composition:
- Performance Royalties Under Blanket Licenses. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance rights society (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), royalties for the public performance or public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work.
- Mechanical Rights and Statutory Royalties. Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a music rights society or designated agent (e.g. Harry Fox Agency), royalties for any phonorecord You create from the Work ("cover version") and distribute, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 115 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
- Webcasting Rights and Statutory Royalties. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a sound recording, Licensor waives the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a performance-rights society (e.g. SoundExchange), royalties for the public digital performance (e.g. webcast) of the Work, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 114 of the US Copyright Act (or the equivalent in other jurisdictions).
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats. All rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved.
The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License. If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any credit as required by clause 4(c), as requested.
- You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 Japan). You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License or other license specified in the previous sentence with every copy or phonorecord of each Derivative Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Derivative Works that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder, and You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Derivative Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. The above applies to the Derivative Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Derivative Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License.
- If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MATERIALS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- Each time You distribute or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.