Project: OGRE Main Project (LEXIExporter)
Supported Versions: 3DSMax 9
Sources: OGRE Main CVS
Binaries: OGRE Tools Downloads Area
Status and bug reports: OGRE Forums Thread
LEXIExporter is a native plugin for 3DSMax9. It is a project in progress, with realeases every 2. or 3. week, and with your help it will be just what you need.
The concept behind the LEXIExporter consists basically of two ideas. First of all, it should be extendable. So far this means opensource and plugable. It will be possible to create plugin export types, such a specific scene formats. It will also be possible to create different methods of material exports, e.g. extend the standard emulation to more optimized shaders or export materials enforcing a certain parent-child relation. Secondly, loose coupling to the modelling tool (so far itÂ´s 3DSMax9) should be kept where possible.
Current version is 1.0.8. This version now supports 3DSMax9. For further details on current releases check the Changlog in the CVS.
LEXIExport currently features:
- Simple .scene export
- exports node hierarchy
- exports node animations
- Automatically load and unload of plugin Dlls.
- XML export of mesh and skeleton
- Export types
- Static mesh
- Skinned mesh (skeleton animated)
- General Mesh export
- Shared or Dedicated geometry option
- Vertex Colors
- Multiple UV sets
- Reindexing optimization
- Single pose
- Multiple sampled pose animations
- Specific export features for skinned mesh
- Multiple Skeleton Animations
- Multiple root bones
- Linked bones
- Shader based materials, to mimic 3DMax DX Viewport look (so far only one at a time)
- Blinn colors
- Diffuse texture
- Specular Color
- Specular Level
- Diffuse and specular map
- Submesh materials
- Automatical conversion of referenced texturemaps. (e.g. .psd -> .dds)
- Material export into per material file or per mesh.
- Add Selection of Multiple Objects
For more details see the Changlog
Design & Features to come:
- Templated settings.
- Morph animation export
- Plugin based exporter types
- i.e. Scenemanager specific scene exports
- Plugin based material export.
- i.e. override standard material export of Max materials with Diffuse+Specular+Bump maps assigned
- i.e. add support for new material types
LEXIExporter is opensource and the source code can be found in OGRE's CVS repository. After checkout locate it in folder ogrenew\Tools\3dsmaxExport\LEXIExporter. Mind the license and contribute with any improvements or fixes.
Create a patch as you would with OGRE and submit it.
Take a look at the screenshot descriptions and the video tutorials. If more questions arise post them in the LEXIExporter thread on the OgreForum. Feature requests, Ideas or bug reports may be reported as a private message to me(sethos) in the OgreForum.
If you experience problems initializing LEXIExporter try to set your 3DSMax to use the D3D display driver. Additionally, the current versions of oFusion and LEXIExporter conflicts, due to their common initialization process, so installing oFusion after LEXIExporter, will corrupt the initialization of LEXIExporter, and vice versa.
- Installing LEXIExporterhttp://lexi.folkenberg.dk/installing.swf.html
- Adding LEXIExporter to MaxÂ´s Utility panel.http://lexi.folkenberg.dk/Setup_Utility_Panel.swf.html
- Exporting a teapot with a simple material. (Old UI) http://lexi.folkenberg.dk/Exporting_Teapot_with_simple_material.swf.html
- Exporting a Teapot with textured material. (Old UI) http://lexi.folkenberg.dk/Exporting_Diffuse_Texture.swf.html
- Exporting a Teapot with Specular maps. (Old UI) http://lexi.folkenberg.dk/Exporting_Specular_Maps.swf.html
- Exporting a mesh with baked shadows. (Old UI) http://lexi.folkenberg.dk/Exporting_Baked_Shadows.swf.html
- Exporting a skinned mesh.http://lexi.folkenberg.dk/Exporting_Boned_Arm_1.0.2.swf.html