- Go to www.ogre3d.org and click on Download and then Download a Prebuilt SDK.
- Download the SDK matching your IDE version. Also get STLport if you have MSVC 6 or 7.0. It is not needed if you have 7.1 (2003) or later.
- Run the installer(s) and follow the orders.
- Continue to Setting Up An Application - Shoggoth to start your first app.
General Note: DirectX should also be installed. directx_nov2008_redist.exe
If you are using Visual C++ Express 2005 for the first time, make sure you do all five steps explained here prior to using the Ogre SDK for VC8.0. Visual C++ Express does not come with the windows headers and libraries and therefore the second step in that article behind the above link is to download the Microsoft Platfrom SDK (PSDK). If you don't install the PSDK and however do steps 3, 4, and 5, you will get compiler errors as your IDE can't find the file windows.h for example.
If you get error messages about not finding winres.h then add C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Include\mfc to the list of include directories at Tools â†’ Options â†’ Projects â†’ Solutions â†’ Include Files.
An alternative to reading the above PSDK installation guide is to visit the Visual C++ 2005 Express Learning Resources and scroll down to the videos. Have a look at this one: Using Visual C++ Express Edition and the Platform SDK.
- In Step number 3 on installing the PSDK, it is said that you should add several paths, all with ...\Program Files\... (with a space between the words). Try it alternatively without a space. This hint is taken from this thread on the microsoft forums.
- Ensure that you have the following three entries in your list at Tools â†’ Options â†’ Projects and Solutions â†’ VC++ Directories when you select in the dropdown list in the upper right corner Executable files above the $(PATH) variable. If you do not see the three files listed below you must add them. This hint is taken from this thread on the microsoft forums.
$(SystemRoot) $(SystemRoot)\System32 $(SystemRoot)\System32\wbem
- Also try to get a windows update this can help with some problems.